E Cape wants 20 000 seeds delivered to East London by 30 November
The Eastern Cape Rural Development Agency (ECRDA) has put out a tender for the supply of 20 000 low THC cannabis seeds to be delivered to its East London offices by the end of November 2021. Cannabiz Africa understands that this is the first time a South African government agency has put out a public tender for the supply of any cannabis product. The ECRDA is a Provincial Public Entity as referred to in Schedule 3C of the Public Finance Management Act. It was formed to “consolidate and integrate the overlapping mandates of provincial entities on matters pertaining to Rural Development and Agrarian reform”.
The ECRDA says to has been mandated with the commercialisation of cannabis in the province. The tender closes on 20 October 2021. The Agency is looking for a seed supplier to provide local and imported seed cultivars to be delivered before the 2021 growing season starting in November. The overall objective of the project is “to provide cannabis seed cultivars suitable for the cultivation of low THC industrial hemp and medicinal CBD in the Eastern Cape to support research and emerging cannabis farmers in the Eastern Cape province in the 2021/22 growing season”.
The ECRDA says “Farmer support is an important element to develop production capacity and seed supply of compliant low Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) industrial hemp and Cannabidiol (CBD) cultivars suitable for Eastern Cape will assist to provide farmers with genetic material to participate in the emerging cannabis industry.
ECRDA says successful bidders must have proven track record
There ECRDA says the “purpose of this tender is to appoint a cannabis seed supplier to supply suitable low THC industrial cannabis varieties and medicinal CBD cultivars. The following cultivar characteristics and quantities are required; •
* A selection of high yielding industrial hemp cultivars for fibre and grain, sufficient for 6 hectares of cultivation in dryland and irrigated conditions planted at a density of 350,000 seeds per hectare
• A selection of 20,000 seeds comprising 5 to 10 CBD cultivars with Certificate of Analysis (COA) indicating CBD over 8 percent suitable for dryland and irrigated conditions
• Provide technical assistance and capacity building to the ECRDA in cultivar selection •
* Provide technical assistance and capacity building of farmers in industrial hemp and medicinal CBD cultivation.
The service provider must have demonstrable experience in South African industrial hemp and medical cannabis cultivation and seed importation and supply, and must be able to show
* proof of the purchase and import of internationally sourced legal cannabis seed with phytosanitary certificates where required – Invoice, and SARS clearance.
• Evidence of a National Department of Agriculture seed import certificate;